Sleep is essential to our overall health and quality of life. In recent years, chronic sleep disorders have even been linked to heart disease, stroke, diabetes, obesity, cancer and high blood pressure. That’s why it’s crucial to prioritize a regular good night’s sleep. With experienced specialists and advanced treatments, Optum can help.
Symptoms and conditions treated
- Difficulties initiating and maintaining sleep
- Nocturnal leg movements (e.g. restless legs syndrome)
- Insomnia (difficulty falling asleep or staying asleep throughout the night)
- Sleep apnea (abnormal patterns in breathing while you are asleep)
- Narcolepsy (extreme sleepiness and falling asleep suddenly during the day)
Activities to help you sleep better at night
Did you know that your activities during the day can affect how well you will sleep at night? It is critical to get a certain amount of quality sleep every night (amount varies based on age) to maintain good health.
Treatment and services
- Evaluation and medical treatment of insomnia, restless leg syndrome, narcolepsy
- Continuous positive airway pressure (CPAP) therapy for treatment of obstructive sleep apnea.
Even if you are not diagnosed with a sleep condition, there are simple ways you can get to bed easier and improve the quality of your sleep:
- Avoid naps during the day
- Keep your bedroom dark, well-ventilated and cool
- Exercise daily but avoid intense exercise three hours before bedtime
- Avoid caffeine, alcohol and nicotine throughout the entire day
- Do not go to bed until you are tired
- Do not watch television, eat or read in bed
- Follow the same bedtime routine each night
- Try warm milk, chamomile tea or tart cherry juice
- Avoid using sleeping pills.
Medical care and help
Many people underestimate the importance of sleep, but improving yours can greatly impact your mental function, mood and overall health.
To find a sleep medicine specialist near you, visit our Providers page.
Contact us if you have any questions.