Akin A. Patel, MD
Dr. Akin Ashwin Patel is a native of Queens, New York. He attended St. John’s University for his undergraduate studies. Then, he completed his medical education at the American University of Antigua and Florida International University- Herbert Wertheim College of Medicine and has several years of post-graduate training.
Dr. Patel completed his residency in Internal Medicine at New York Presbyterian-Queens Hospital, serving an additional year as chief resident, and then trained in Hematology and Oncology at the NCI-designated cancer center at the University of Florida-Health Shands Hospital in Gainesville, Florida, where he served as Chief Fellow.
Dr. Patel was drawn to the rapidly changing specialty of Hematology and Oncology due to his fascination with the interactions of our cellular functioning, DNA, and our environment, whose interactions can potentially manifest as diagnoses in the form of blood and cancer diseases. He believes this curiosity and his experience are beneficial tools to help care for people affected by these diseases during what can be one of, if not the most vulnerable times in a person's life.
Dr. Patel has made it his mission to train in distinct zones of America so he could experience the diverse lives of people across the country. This has given him a broad perspective on the similarities, differences, and challenges, including the gratification of having a chance to care for United States Veterans while in Florida.
His philosophy of patient care is simple: listen more to do more. He believes listening to his patients and what they are going through is paramount to appropriately diagnose and delivering the highest quality, safest, and most transparent medical care.
- Undergraduate & Graduate
- St. Johns University
- Medical Education
- American University of Antigua College of Medicine
- Florida International University- Herbert Wertheim College of Medicine
- New York Presbyterian- Queens Hospital
New York Presbyterian- Queens Hospital
- University of Florida- Gainesville, Hematology and Oncology
- Board Certifications
- Internal Medicine Board Certified
- Hematology and Oncology Board Eligible
- North Shore University Hospital
- St. Francis Hospital Catholic Health System
- Long Island Jewish-Northwell Health
- American Society of Clinical Oncology
- American Society of Hematology